My name is Comet Ajayi (nee Ncube). I was born in Harare, Zimbabwe. I came over to the UK when I was 6yrs old. My mum always cooked traditional Zimbabwean food and Chakalaka was one that we loved to eat with our countries staple food Sadza or pap as South African call it. Sometimes would have it on its own, it’s that delicious!
I live in the UK with my husband and four children and I love to cook cultural dishes from Zimbabwe and also Nigerian because that’s my husbands background. Vegan recipes are a new and exciting way of cooking for me. My husband who is a fitness freak overcoming diabetes has to has to keep control of his diet so vegan diet have really benefited him and all of us as a family.
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1-2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic chopped
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ginger minced
- 3-4 cups sliced cabbage
- 1 -2 Chili peppers diced seeds removed for less heat
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, give it a minute or two,
- Stir in all the spices; garlic, ginger, smoked paprika, curry, continue stirring for about a minute to let the flavors bloom. Then add , bell peppers, carrots and cabbage
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burns.
- Finally add baked beans, vegan stock cube stir Continue cooking for about 2-3 minutes.
- Adjust for seasonings.
- Serve warm with protein or carbohydrates of choice. I served mine with boiled plantain and yam! Yum!